material for house framing
1) Are the boards straight after being cured?
If the lumber is not straight, obviously you do not want to use it in areas where you desire a straight wall, floor, ceiling, etc.
2) Is the lumber at the proper moisture content to begin construction?
If the moisture content is too high it will shrink and warp as it dries causing various problems.
The optimum moisture content for the lumber will vary somewhat depending on your geographical location but in the neighborhood of 15% should be close.
3) Another thing to consider is that the lumber will not have been graded showing its structural capacity. The grading process takes many things into consideration including; the moisture content, number and size of knots, species of wood, etc.
Just a few questions/observations from an uninterested 3rd party:
Is he skilled in felling and bucking trees, dragging them around and milling them?
What is the cost of the milling equipment?
Will the stumps, etc, detract from the property's appeal--and the view out your living room window?
What about a log home instead? Very cool--plus the structural issues raised by Glenn would probably not be a concern.
What about the additional time required to do all that? Even if you have a 'free' place to live for the duration, there is additional stress, etc. (We are doing a relatively minor kitchen remodel and even THAT has dragged on for months. My wife is practically at my throat by now )
Casework Substrate Material
Best material for low pitch roof?
How far I can cantilever a 2x12 girder from the post?
MDF 1x3 casing and 1x4 base..good/bad?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING