material for house framing
1) Are the boards straight after being cured?
If the lumber is not straight, obviously you do not want to use it in areas where you desire a straight wall, floor, ceiling, etc.
2) Is the lumber at the proper moisture content to begin construction?
If the moisture content is too high it will shrink and warp as it dries causing various problems.
The optimum moisture content for the lumber will vary somewhat depending on your geographical location but in the neighborhood of 15% should be close.
3) Another thing to consider is that the lumber will not have been graded showing its structural capacity. The grading process takes many things into consideration including; the moisture content, number and size of knots, species of wood, etc.
Casework Substrate Material
Best material for low pitch roof?
How far I can cantilever a 2x12 girder from the post?
MDF 1x3 casing and 1x4 base..good/bad?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!