material for house framing
1) Are the boards straight after being cured?
If the lumber is not straight, obviously you do not want to use it in areas where you desire a straight wall, floor, ceiling, etc.
2) Is the lumber at the proper moisture content to begin construction?
If the moisture content is too high it will shrink and warp as it dries causing various problems.
The optimum moisture content for the lumber will vary somewhat depending on your geographical location but in the neighborhood of 15% should be close.
3) Another thing to consider is that the lumber will not have been graded showing its structural capacity. The grading process takes many things into consideration including; the moisture content, number and size of knots, species of wood, etc.
Just a few questions/observations from an uninterested 3rd party:
Is he skilled in felling and bucking trees, dragging them around and milling them?
What is the cost of the milling equipment?
Will the stumps, etc, detract from the property's appeal--and the view out your living room window?
What about a log home instead? Very cool--plus the structural issues raised by Glenn would probably not be a concern.
What about the additional time required to do all that? Even if you have a 'free' place to live for the duration, there is additional stress, etc. (We are doing a relatively minor kitchen remodel and even THAT has dragged on for months. My wife is practically at my throat by now )
Casework Substrate Material
Best material for low pitch roof?
How far I can cantilever a 2x12 girder from the post?
MDF 1x3 casing and 1x4 base..good/bad?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda