load bearing walls
I have a rambaler that was built in 1975. I have a wall in the center of the house that runs north and south and my rafters run east and west. Is this a bearing wall. THANK YOU
Based on what I've read, weight bearing walls typically run perpendicular to ceiling joists. Non bearing walls tend to run parallel to ceiling joists. However, whether you have rafters or trusses supporting your ceiling/roof will also have an effect on the answer to your question.
I have trusses supporting the ceiling/roof in my one-story home, and I am trying to confirm whether an interior wall that runs perpendicular to the trusses is a weight bearing wall or not.
Chances are that is the roof is rafters/clg. joists the wall is load bearing. A little investigation above the wall to see if the rafters end will give a definative answer. This can probably be done from the attic, moving the insulation.
Just wanted to open up my kitchen and living room a little more. I'll have to go in the attic i see. Thank you for the info.
You can probably remove the interior wall If your rafters are pre-fabricated roof trusses which normally only bear on the outside walls and require no interior support (common in modern construction). The only way to know is to get into the attic and inspect. If the roof framing is conventional stick built it may require further analysis. In the worst case you may need a truss beam to replace the wall being removed. They can span up to 20' These are basically laminated plywood beams supported on either end by posts that go down to the foundation or slab. Check the basement or crawl space to see if structural support is below. If built on slab there is no way to tell (for sure) if there is bearing below the wall to be removed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size