load bearing walls
I have a rambaler that was built in 1975. I have a wall in the center of the house that runs north and south and my rafters run east and west. Is this a bearing wall. THANK YOU
Based on what I've read, weight bearing walls typically run perpendicular to ceiling joists. Non bearing walls tend to run parallel to ceiling joists. However, whether you have rafters or trusses supporting your ceiling/roof will also have an effect on the answer to your question.
I have trusses supporting the ceiling/roof in my one-story home, and I am trying to confirm whether an interior wall that runs perpendicular to the trusses is a weight bearing wall or not.
Chances are that is the roof is rafters/clg. joists the wall is load bearing. A little investigation above the wall to see if the rafters end will give a definative answer. This can probably be done from the attic, moving the insulation.
Just wanted to open up my kitchen and living room a little more. I'll have to go in the attic i see. Thank you for the info.
You can probably remove the interior wall If your rafters are pre-fabricated roof trusses which normally only bear on the outside walls and require no interior support (common in modern construction). The only way to know is to get into the attic and inspect. If the roof framing is conventional stick built it may require further analysis. In the worst case you may need a truss beam to replace the wall being removed. They can span up to 20' These are basically laminated plywood beams supported on either end by posts that go down to the foundation or slab. Check the basement or crawl space to see if structural support is below. If built on slab there is no way to tell (for sure) if there is bearing below the wall to be removed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs