We have a 22 x 22 exposed basement with a 22 x 44 ranch house build on top. It extends 22 foot off the basement and is supported by 2 beams and six posts sunk into the ground. Photos on the web site: www.angelfire.com/falcon/adessa. We would like to build under this existing structure and need to know how to support the upstairs so it doesn't fall in the process of putting in the new foundation and building up the walls.
That is, actually, a job for a professional. It can be done, though. The house that cantilevers off the foundation will have to be supported by beams and cribbing located outside the footprint of the structure, leaving access for excavation equipment to dig around and then under the unsupported part of the house. Your probably looking at a job that requires not only the normal trades (excavation, forming, concrete, etc.) but also one with house moving experience, as he'll have the equipment and expertise to evaluate the structure and then place the temporary supports where they'll support the house but not be in the way of the excavator.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes