We have a 22 x 22 exposed basement with a 22 x 44 ranch house build on top. It extends 22 foot off the basement and is supported by 2 beams and six posts sunk into the ground. Photos on the web site: www.angelfire.com/falcon/adessa. We would like to build under this existing structure and need to know how to support the upstairs so it doesn't fall in the process of putting in the new foundation and building up the walls.
That is, actually, a job for a professional. It can be done, though. The house that cantilevers off the foundation will have to be supported by beams and cribbing located outside the footprint of the structure, leaving access for excavation equipment to dig around and then under the unsupported part of the house. Your probably looking at a job that requires not only the normal trades (excavation, forming, concrete, etc.) but also one with house moving experience, as he'll have the equipment and expertise to evaluate the structure and then place the temporary supports where they'll support the house but not be in the way of the excavator.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!