9 foot ceilings with vaulted greatroom/kitchen vs. 9 foot ceilings?
Obviously which is more "appealing" is in the eyes of the beholder...but here's a comment anyway, just for what it's worth. We have a vaulted living room, adjacent to kitchen/dining. The kitchen/dining area is only 8' high and it always "seems low" after walking in from the living room.
Personally, I like the vaulted look; it's certainly more dramatic--but it's not for everyone. It's probably less efficient to heat--and a bear to paint...and simple things like swatting flies can be a special challenge. To get at a moth high on the wall, I have to put several extensions on the vacuum cleaner hose! But we can hang things higher up on the walls, too--it's not like the space goes totally wasted.
So really, it's more YOUR opinion that counts. But consider the style of your house and if it will work with that as well; if it's contemporary (among others), vaulted ceilings can be pretty neat.
And if you're in THIS stage of planning, you'll probably become a "regular" on this forum!
Till next time,
-k2 in CO
my advice is to do a vaulted ceiling, BUT do not just follow the line of the roof. this is overdone. try returning the 3 other corners and making a interior done space. is you wanna go with the rake of the roof... put box frames or beams up on the ceiling to break the modern trailor park appeal.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight