9 foot ceilings with vaulted greatroom/kitchen vs. 9 foot ceilings?
Obviously which is more "appealing" is in the eyes of the beholder...but here's a comment anyway, just for what it's worth. We have a vaulted living room, adjacent to kitchen/dining. The kitchen/dining area is only 8' high and it always "seems low" after walking in from the living room.
Personally, I like the vaulted look; it's certainly more dramatic--but it's not for everyone. It's probably less efficient to heat--and a bear to paint...and simple things like swatting flies can be a special challenge. To get at a moth high on the wall, I have to put several extensions on the vacuum cleaner hose! But we can hang things higher up on the walls, too--it's not like the space goes totally wasted.
So really, it's more YOUR opinion that counts. But consider the style of your house and if it will work with that as well; if it's contemporary (among others), vaulted ceilings can be pretty neat.
And if you're in THIS stage of planning, you'll probably become a "regular" on this forum!
Till next time,
-k2 in CO
my advice is to do a vaulted ceiling, BUT do not just follow the line of the roof. this is overdone. try returning the 3 other corners and making a interior done space. is you wanna go with the rake of the roof... put box frames or beams up on the ceiling to break the modern trailor park appeal.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers