9 foot ceilings with vaulted greatroom/kitchen vs. 9 foot ceilings?
Obviously which is more "appealing" is in the eyes of the beholder...but here's a comment anyway, just for what it's worth. We have a vaulted living room, adjacent to kitchen/dining. The kitchen/dining area is only 8' high and it always "seems low" after walking in from the living room.
Personally, I like the vaulted look; it's certainly more dramatic--but it's not for everyone. It's probably less efficient to heat--and a bear to paint...and simple things like swatting flies can be a special challenge. To get at a moth high on the wall, I have to put several extensions on the vacuum cleaner hose! But we can hang things higher up on the walls, too--it's not like the space goes totally wasted.
So really, it's more YOUR opinion that counts. But consider the style of your house and if it will work with that as well; if it's contemporary (among others), vaulted ceilings can be pretty neat.
And if you're in THIS stage of planning, you'll probably become a "regular" on this forum!
Till next time,
-k2 in CO
my advice is to do a vaulted ceiling, BUT do not just follow the line of the roof. this is overdone. try returning the 3 other corners and making a interior done space. is you wanna go with the rake of the roof... put box frames or beams up on the ceiling to break the modern trailor park appeal.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING