We are building a new house and would like to have 4 exposed beams in our great room. The room is 16x20 and has a 10 foot ceiling . The beams are non-structual and for appearance only the question is what size should they be to look appropriate for the space? What do others typically do?
hmm what do other do? well others do everything! for example in my mom's old house she has the easy way out: the beams are just boxes made of 1x material. on one house i worked on they had 18"x12" solid beams. so the whole structure had to be modified. hmmm the problem you face is the proportionsing of the beams. now i dunno what your looking for. for example will the "beams" be just a 2x applied board? or do you want them a little beefier?
I am figuring on making the beams out of 1X material and am wondering what would be a good size for the "boxes" like what you described in your moms old house. I have 5" wide X 1" pine that I would like to use but am concerned that they wont make a big enough beam I can get wider wood if 5" would look to undersized.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?