We are building a new house and would like to have 4 exposed beams in our great room. The room is 16x20 and has a 10 foot ceiling . The beams are non-structual and for appearance only the question is what size should they be to look appropriate for the space? What do others typically do?
hmm what do other do? well others do everything! for example in my mom's old house she has the easy way out: the beams are just boxes made of 1x material. on one house i worked on they had 18"x12" solid beams. so the whole structure had to be modified. hmmm the problem you face is the proportionsing of the beams. now i dunno what your looking for. for example will the "beams" be just a 2x applied board? or do you want them a little beefier?
I am figuring on making the beams out of 1X material and am wondering what would be a good size for the "boxes" like what you described in your moms old house. I have 5" wide X 1" pine that I would like to use but am concerned that they wont make a big enough beam I can get wider wood if 5" would look to undersized.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes