We are building a new house and would like to have 4 exposed beams in our great room. The room is 16x20 and has a 10 foot ceiling . The beams are non-structual and for appearance only the question is what size should they be to look appropriate for the space? What do others typically do?
hmm what do other do? well others do everything! for example in my mom's old house she has the easy way out: the beams are just boxes made of 1x material. on one house i worked on they had 18"x12" solid beams. so the whole structure had to be modified. hmmm the problem you face is the proportionsing of the beams. now i dunno what your looking for. for example will the "beams" be just a 2x applied board? or do you want them a little beefier?
I am figuring on making the beams out of 1X material and am wondering what would be a good size for the "boxes" like what you described in your moms old house. I have 5" wide X 1" pine that I would like to use but am concerned that they wont make a big enough beam I can get wider wood if 5" would look to undersized.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!