I'm looking for a house and would like to have a second floor family room. They're hard to find, but many houses I've seen have open space on the 2nd floor above the 1st floor family room, with a railing so you can look down on the room from the upstairs hallway. That is, the family room is two storeys high.
Is it difficult to put in a floor and walls, thus creating a new room out of the open space? I would be looking at hiring contractors, not doing it myself.
It seems to me you'd need a floor, finishing the new ceiling below it, then adding electrical and ductwork inside the existing or new walls.
Is this fairly simple? What would be an approximate cost of having this done for (say) a 15x15 open space?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers