I'm looking for a house and would like to have a second floor family room. They're hard to find, but many houses I've seen have open space on the 2nd floor above the 1st floor family room, with a railing so you can look down on the room from the upstairs hallway. That is, the family room is two storeys high.
Is it difficult to put in a floor and walls, thus creating a new room out of the open space? I would be looking at hiring contractors, not doing it myself.
It seems to me you'd need a floor, finishing the new ceiling below it, then adding electrical and ductwork inside the existing or new walls.
Is this fairly simple? What would be an approximate cost of having this done for (say) a 15x15 open space?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide