I suggest he visit a few churches and make note of what he likes as far as features and dimensions.
Then get a good book on making cabinets. Adapt the dimensions to the techniques in the book. Then come back here if you have specific questions.
You won't find hardwood plywood at the local big box. Fortunately for me, there's a Paxton's in the area so I have access to many types of hardwood plywood.
You might also try www.woodmagazine.com site. They have a very active woodworking discussion group.
Stained rough barnwood family room. Not tong and groove
10 things you didn't know Windex could do.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!