I have a short wall in my kitchen that separates the refrigerator from the dining area. The wall protrudes a little more than the average fridge is deep. I bought a new fridge and it won't fit into the space between this wall and my cabinets on the other side.
I want to take it down, reposition the phone line that's inside the wall, take down a high-up cabinet, and move the fridge back into the spot where it was 'supposed' to sit. I'll have to replace the vinyl flooring, but that's no biggie.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to go into the attic to identify whether or not this is a load bearing wall? I don't have the blueprints. My home was built in 1978.
I'd go with k2's recomendation. I had a major kitchen remodel done in our last home and we removed a "non bearing wall" and as k2 mentioned we had several electrical circuits running to the upstairs as well a 4" waste line. We knew going into the project they were in there and the contractor had plans for rerouting the items.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!