I have a short wall in my kitchen that separates the refrigerator from the dining area. The wall protrudes a little more than the average fridge is deep. I bought a new fridge and it won't fit into the space between this wall and my cabinets on the other side.
I want to take it down, reposition the phone line that's inside the wall, take down a high-up cabinet, and move the fridge back into the spot where it was 'supposed' to sit. I'll have to replace the vinyl flooring, but that's no biggie.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way to go into the attic to identify whether or not this is a load bearing wall? I don't have the blueprints. My home was built in 1978.
I'd go with k2's recomendation. I had a major kitchen remodel done in our last home and we removed a "non bearing wall" and as k2 mentioned we had several electrical circuits running to the upstairs as well a 4" waste line. We knew going into the project they were in there and the contractor had plans for rerouting the items.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?