I own a two story Cape Code Cape, and would like to open up one side of the stairway. The stairway is located just off center of the house. The wall that I would like to open up runs perpendicular to the floor joist and roof.
My question at the bottom of the stairs would I need to add in a beam to the ceiling?
I've considered the same thing but it scares me a little. I checked to ensure that it isn't a load bearing wall, which it isn't but my house is a little over 150 years old and I'm afraid that it may have settled onto the wall. I just worry that after all of that time, removing 1 wall supporting 1 joist may end up sagging the entire 2nd floor. I have drawn up 2 sets of plans, 1 with a floor to ceiling post and 1 where I have to frame out the 2nd floor joists to beef up the support. 2 years later and I still don't know which to do, if either. The only thing I could recommend is talk to an engineer or an architect. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!