I am looking for books or other resources that provide suggested design options for updating or changing a 1960s ranch style home. Every house in the neighborhood looks exactly the same. I would like to add some paint and architectural components to give the house a unique feel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My mother is interested in purchasing a ranch but hates the extra little triangle roof over the front door. Has anyone found any affordable (~10K) options for changing the look?
Here's a thought. Throughout the 20th century, Americans trashed recent architecture only to regret it later. The Victorian houses of San Francisco that are so prized today were considered outdated trash by many not too long ago. So many treasures were demolished or remodeled to be something they weren't. Ranch houses are the next style that will become "historic." Usually, a building that is over 50 years old is considered worth preserving. If you are thinking of making your ranch into something it isn't, try celebrating it's "ranchness" instead. Ranches have a wonderful legacy that includes the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright (ex. Jacobs House built in 1936), and Cliff May. The nostalgic 50's & 60's are very important to American history and are encapsulated in the ranch house. A book that might help is Ranch House Style by Katherine Samon. Paint, color, and small details can work wonders. Cheesey "Design On a Dime"-like solutions might leave you disappointed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love