I have a 1958s post war bungalow with full basement. All joists are fir, on 16" centres, and are rediculously strong. Wood quality seemed better back then.
I'd like to tak out the support wall between my kitchen and dining room, where the span is 9 ft.
What's odd is that in the kitchen, the ceiling joist pattern is different from the floor joist pattern and the support wall to be removed does not line up with a support wall in the basement. It misses it by 5 ft. (this was done i assume so that the support wall didn't bisect the kitchen when it was first built.) This means that the posts will be sitting on floor joists, not on the support wall in the basement.
Is the only solution to put posts in the basement to line up with the posts upstairs? or is the floor joist strong enough to support the posts. The support wall is currently just holding up the ceiling in the dining room, and it's share of the roof. Vancouver Canada, very little snow.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes