I have a 1958s post war bungalow with full basement. All joists are fir, on 16" centres, and are rediculously strong. Wood quality seemed better back then.
I'd like to tak out the support wall between my kitchen and dining room, where the span is 9 ft.
What's odd is that in the kitchen, the ceiling joist pattern is different from the floor joist pattern and the support wall to be removed does not line up with a support wall in the basement. It misses it by 5 ft. (this was done i assume so that the support wall didn't bisect the kitchen when it was first built.) This means that the posts will be sitting on floor joists, not on the support wall in the basement.
Is the only solution to put posts in the basement to line up with the posts upstairs? or is the floor joist strong enough to support the posts. The support wall is currently just holding up the ceiling in the dining room, and it's share of the roof. Vancouver Canada, very little snow.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!