hello everyone, i am acting as a general cont. in the construction of my families new home project, i located a builder after much reasearch (unfortunatley not enough) wrote up a contract and told him what i expected, once the basement was complete i noticed two walls out of square, there were two places under the basement floor that were supposd to have footers that dont and a pile of other issues. after the builder completed the first floor walls and framing i found several issues with walls and doors in the wrong locations (i am talking feet off) after confronting him he fixed these mistakes admitting he screwed up, then he completed the second floor and didnt notice the front of the house cantilevered out three feet like the prints show i pointed this out and he said i will fix it now big deal, then finally he began on the roof the entire roof is rafters so he completed a 20' section and upon my inspection it looked horrible the birds mouths were way too deep and the building inspector said the roof needed torn off and redone as well as the basement floor because he didnt install a vapor barrior (plastic) needless to say i fired him but not without loosing $20,000 (8000 of that 20,000 went to material)any suggestions.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of so-called builders out there that are not qualified to do there jobs. The best advice I can give is to have an architect and engineer take a look at what has been done so far. They may be able to come up with a fix for everything without having to tear down what has been put up. Depending on their findings, try to find a reputable builder to move forward with. Call you Better Business Bureau, ask for references from the new builder, and if you have time, check some of his projects.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes