i am looking to become a first time homeowner in napa, ca but keep running into the same problem: the houses i can afford are just too small. we're talking 750-940 square feet here! for resale value, as well as my own comfort, i'd like to be able to expand. the layouts of most homes, even on bigger lots, don't seem to allow enough room to just add on a master suite or extra room but i could gain 8 to 12 feet by bumping out a wall. is this a good and cost-effective method? one house is stucco and the wall in question is the back wall for the "master" bedroom and the kitchen. it's going to need a new roof as well. another house has siding and there are no major appliances, windows or electrical wiring on it and has a 2-yr old roof.
this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark but thank you for whatever info you might provide.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight