i am looking to become a first time homeowner in napa, ca but keep running into the same problem: the houses i can afford are just too small. we're talking 750-940 square feet here! for resale value, as well as my own comfort, i'd like to be able to expand. the layouts of most homes, even on bigger lots, don't seem to allow enough room to just add on a master suite or extra room but i could gain 8 to 12 feet by bumping out a wall. is this a good and cost-effective method? one house is stucco and the wall in question is the back wall for the "master" bedroom and the kitchen. it's going to need a new roof as well. another house has siding and there are no major appliances, windows or electrical wiring on it and has a 2-yr old roof.
this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark but thank you for whatever info you might provide.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!