i am looking to become a first time homeowner in napa, ca but keep running into the same problem: the houses i can afford are just too small. we're talking 750-940 square feet here! for resale value, as well as my own comfort, i'd like to be able to expand. the layouts of most homes, even on bigger lots, don't seem to allow enough room to just add on a master suite or extra room but i could gain 8 to 12 feet by bumping out a wall. is this a good and cost-effective method? one house is stucco and the wall in question is the back wall for the "master" bedroom and the kitchen. it's going to need a new roof as well. another house has siding and there are no major appliances, windows or electrical wiring on it and has a 2-yr old roof.
this is kind of a shot-in-the-dark but thank you for whatever info you might provide.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes