Construction system types-economy
First a good building center or local contractor should be able to help you out to narrow your questions down a bit.
Steel will give you the best result and price if you take into account open floor space, long spans, and the ability to accomodate additions of air exchangers and spray booths because of the space between columns is a typical 6-10' and will allow a 2'x2' hole just about anywhere you need one The size and number of doors is more agreeable with steel framing. Also insurance may be a factor to say steel is better with your shop. Consider sprinklers and dust control with construction to protect the building and pocket book.
The only draw back is noise if you don't insulate or finish the inside of the building
Watch the zoning regs in your area, they have a lot to say about steel structures in some places.
Be sure that you know full well what it is you are looking at, because the cost differences between them can be substantial.
As an example, the type of building you are considering, in a "Red-Iron" type structure, would be on the small end of the scale and cost between $7000 - $10,000, depending on the options you choose. This type of structure would allow for at least 20' spacing between main frames (or 25' or even 30'+), and spans (without interior columns) anywhere from 20' to as much as 250'+. The purlins (roof framing members) are typically set at 5' on center, allowing (as the previous post stated) room for practically anything.
And yes, insurance rates are definitely a factor, with a metal building you can actually achieve a Class A fire rating.
Hope this info helps some...
[This message has been edited by Xpress1 (edited February 03, 2000).]
Building with Valubuild SIP-Not a "Do it yourself" s...
Open Web Joist Flooring System
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY