My husband & I would like to add onto the back of our 2 story house. We would add on 14 feet to the back, and run along the entire 52 feet of the house. It would be two stories. We are wondering if anybody has a ball park figure of what it would cost to have this added on. We aren't sure if would just be less expensive to buy a bigger house than to add this much on.
Having someone bid for this job will be an eye opener. I'm doing my own contracting on a new house. My bids came in at $95 to 170 per square foot for new construction. Additions are always more due to the demolition....framers don't like doing it either. Doing it myself has taken it down to about $80 per square foot.. You are looking at $100 x 14 x 2 x 52 = $145,000. Will your neighborhood support that much more in house price? Not many will. Investigate what houses cost in your area for the size you really want. Then get a good estimate of the value of yours. Decide if your neighborhood is worth staying and potentially losing perhaps half your investment. How long do you think you will be there? Things change. In ten years, you might break even.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!