Does anyone have any comments on a preserved wood foundation......a friend is considering the purchase of a home with such a foundation....and has little information. Any information will be appreciated.
There is a post in this section from July 24th, called "Are treated lumber foundations durable". Check it out.
We built our home in 1987 and were talked into a wood foundation and it cost us an extra $2000. We live in the southern tier of New York State, the foothills of the Catskill mountains. Our area has had 2 major floods in 2006 and 2011. Our house sits on a hillside. We did have water problems in our basement for the first few years, until we had a professional dry basement company put in a self- draining system (no sump pump) in 1994.(The cause of the problems had no relation to the foundation, we have underground springs on the property.) No problems since then and their work is guaranteed for the life of the house (transferable to new owners). Our neighbors all have water in their basements which are damp and musty. We are the ONLY wood foundation in this city. Now it has been near 30 years and we are relocating to another state for family reasons.The advantages we have realized with a wood foundation are lower heating bills, a dry and comfortable basement where our son has been living for 5 years now, Most people remark that it doesn't feel or smell like a basement. We are hoping that prospective buyers will see the proof of the pudding here and not fear buying our home. If we didn't have our only future grandchild 500 miles away, we would not let go of this house! We have had a very comfortable, enjoyable life here.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects