Metal Framing vs wood framing
Requires slightly different construction methods - must use screws which is probably what should be used anyways. Transmits heat/cold. Must use specially sized insulation which may cost more.
And, no, it is not "obvious" that I have not worked with metal. It is only "obvious" that I disagree with the following two posts. Screws I have used in metal studs have "stripped," making the hole useless. In wood, if you hit the wood, the screw will bite. I can respect that some might prefer metal, but some people just prefer working with wood instead of metal.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 13, 2001).]
Steel provides a solid frame. My walls are just as solid as any built with wood studs.
My .02 cents,
The metal is good for my purpose because this is my basement, I am paying for it, and thus it is going slowly. I don't have to worry about it warping if I don't get it drywalled right away.
I am concerned about one thing. How do I attach base boards? I want to use natural wood so screws would show to much. Would brads hold? And last if I screw or nail through the float track into the bottom track what does this do to the flosted wall concept.
I've worked with both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer wood myself. That is a personal preference and I think that is what it boils down to. Which ever seems to be easier and fits your needs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs