Metal Framing vs wood framing
Requires slightly different construction methods - must use screws which is probably what should be used anyways. Transmits heat/cold. Must use specially sized insulation which may cost more.
And, no, it is not "obvious" that I have not worked with metal. It is only "obvious" that I disagree with the following two posts. Screws I have used in metal studs have "stripped," making the hole useless. In wood, if you hit the wood, the screw will bite. I can respect that some might prefer metal, but some people just prefer working with wood instead of metal.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 13, 2001).]
Steel provides a solid frame. My walls are just as solid as any built with wood studs.
My .02 cents,
The metal is good for my purpose because this is my basement, I am paying for it, and thus it is going slowly. I don't have to worry about it warping if I don't get it drywalled right away.
I am concerned about one thing. How do I attach base boards? I want to use natural wood so screws would show to much. Would brads hold? And last if I screw or nail through the float track into the bottom track what does this do to the flosted wall concept.
I've worked with both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer wood myself. That is a personal preference and I think that is what it boils down to. Which ever seems to be easier and fits your needs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!