Metal Framing vs wood framing
Requires slightly different construction methods - must use screws which is probably what should be used anyways. Transmits heat/cold. Must use specially sized insulation which may cost more.
And, no, it is not "obvious" that I have not worked with metal. It is only "obvious" that I disagree with the following two posts. Screws I have used in metal studs have "stripped," making the hole useless. In wood, if you hit the wood, the screw will bite. I can respect that some might prefer metal, but some people just prefer working with wood instead of metal.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 13, 2001).]
Steel provides a solid frame. My walls are just as solid as any built with wood studs.
My .02 cents,
The metal is good for my purpose because this is my basement, I am paying for it, and thus it is going slowly. I don't have to worry about it warping if I don't get it drywalled right away.
I am concerned about one thing. How do I attach base boards? I want to use natural wood so screws would show to much. Would brads hold? And last if I screw or nail through the float track into the bottom track what does this do to the flosted wall concept.
I've worked with both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer wood myself. That is a personal preference and I think that is what it boils down to. Which ever seems to be easier and fits your needs.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 11 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home