I'm framing a new room in my basement and would like to conceal an I beam inside one of the walls. Any ideas on using the I beam as a header? Can I bolt a 2x4 to the bottom of the I beam or will the holes that I would have to drill in the bottom of the beam compromize the integrity of the beam? Any building code issues here? Thanks for any help!
We bolt wood to "I" beams all the time on commercial jobs. You do not want to drill large holes in the beam but 1/4" or even 3/8" holes should not be any problem. Should not be any code issues for this.
I've nailed 2x4's into the beam with a high velocity nail gun. Those work quite weel, if you can still find one.
Complicated Installation Recirculating Range Hood - ...
Deck Joist Dimension Variation
Building a Brick Mailbox
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!