I'm framing a new room in my basement and would like to conceal an I beam inside one of the walls. Any ideas on using the I beam as a header? Can I bolt a 2x4 to the bottom of the I beam or will the holes that I would have to drill in the bottom of the beam compromize the integrity of the beam? Any building code issues here? Thanks for any help!
We bolt wood to "I" beams all the time on commercial jobs. You do not want to drill large holes in the beam but 1/4" or even 3/8" holes should not be any problem. Should not be any code issues for this.
I've nailed 2x4's into the beam with a high velocity nail gun. Those work quite weel, if you can still find one.
Complicated Installation Recirculating Range Hood - ...
Building a Brick Mailbox
Deck Joist Dimension Variation
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects