I'm framing a new room in my basement and would like to conceal an I beam inside one of the walls. Any ideas on using the I beam as a header? Can I bolt a 2x4 to the bottom of the I beam or will the holes that I would have to drill in the bottom of the beam compromize the integrity of the beam? Any building code issues here? Thanks for any help!
We bolt wood to "I" beams all the time on commercial jobs. You do not want to drill large holes in the beam but 1/4" or even 3/8" holes should not be any problem. Should not be any code issues for this.
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
Deck Joist Dimension Variation
Building a Brick Mailbox
Complicated Installation Recirculating Range Hood - ...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight