home depot deck program
I had to pass this on because you can't seem to trust anyone these days to give you honest service - and it seems that Home Depot is no different. So if you are building a deck - do your own calculations.
Thanks for the warning. The only time I could see using longer stock would be in cases where you would use the scrap for such things as solid bridging or nailers in obscure areas. In cases such as these though the scrap is actually figured for these jobs. It doesn't sound quite like that here......Mark Hammond
Also, don't forget- lumber is a commodity item sold per thousand board feet on the wholesale level. Each individual length of a dimension can trade at completely different levels, so while there may be more waste on your end, that 12 footer might actually be cheaper for the Depot to buy than a 10 footer. Food for thought.
We did end up buying all our lumber there (our choises were limited), but with our own calculations and with what they had in stock. The price we paid was much cheaper (for the part quoted), we had alot less waste, and we had plenty of material left over for blocking. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would never have used 1 x 6 for blocking (left over deck boards). That's the major portion of the over estimating and over cost.
Again, thanks for the other viewpoints.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes