Hardie Plank Pros and Cons
Maintenance is the same as any exterior painted surface and will need to be repainted periodically. How often it needs painted will depend on the grade of paint used and the number and thickness of the coats.
Hardiplank siding is far superior to the Masonite or hardboard siding it was meant to replace.
Don't look for meaningful insulation gains in any type of siding. If you need insulation, install it in the wall cavity between the studs (such as R-13 fiberglass batts) or skin over the outside of the wall with 1" styrofoam or urethane board (R-7) before applying new siding.
Anything that is painted will eventually need to be re-painted. Under like conditions, Hardie-plank will hold paint as much as twice as long as wood. If you want no maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
Don't look for meaningful insulation values in any type of siding. If you need insulation, add it to the cavity between the wall studs (with products such as fiberglass batts or blown-in insulations with a R value of 13 or more) or "skin" over the outside of the walls with 1" insulation panels (such as urethane or styrofoam with a R value of 7 or more). A lot of contorted hype accompanies products and their R values. Be careful!
In my experiences, paint holds at least twice as long on hardie-plank as it does on wood. If you want NO maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs