Hardie Plank Pros and Cons
Maintenance is the same as any exterior painted surface and will need to be repainted periodically. How often it needs painted will depend on the grade of paint used and the number and thickness of the coats.
Hardiplank siding is far superior to the Masonite or hardboard siding it was meant to replace.
Don't look for meaningful insulation gains in any type of siding. If you need insulation, install it in the wall cavity between the studs (such as R-13 fiberglass batts) or skin over the outside of the wall with 1" styrofoam or urethane board (R-7) before applying new siding.
Anything that is painted will eventually need to be re-painted. Under like conditions, Hardie-plank will hold paint as much as twice as long as wood. If you want no maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
Don't look for meaningful insulation values in any type of siding. If you need insulation, add it to the cavity between the wall studs (with products such as fiberglass batts or blown-in insulations with a R value of 13 or more) or "skin" over the outside of the walls with 1" insulation panels (such as urethane or styrofoam with a R value of 7 or more). A lot of contorted hype accompanies products and their R values. Be careful!
In my experiences, paint holds at least twice as long on hardie-plank as it does on wood. If you want NO maintenance for 30 years, install masonry and don't paint it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes