Cracked Floor Joist Repair
I have a 2x10 floor joist that has a vertical crack from about the bottom to half way up (also 2 knots at crack). There also appears to be some longitudinal cracks that follow grain lines The joist is under bathrooms. About 5‚Äô from the crack they cut a chunk from the joist for the bathtub drain.. This joist may be 1/4 inch low. My plan was to cut some ¬æ" plywood I have on hand 4‚Äô long and as deep as the joist. I plan to use a post support (the kind with the screw in the top) and jack the joist up some and "sister" the plywood to the joist (w/the crack centered in the 4‚Äô width of the plywood. Is plywood a good method? Should I plywood both sides? Should I glue the plywood to the joist (will not be able to remove if glued)? Should I bolt or screw the plywood to the joist? Pattern and bolts sizes? Pattern and screw sizes?
¬æ‚Äù plywood should work OK. You may want to cut it a little longer (5‚Äô-6‚Äô) to be on the safe side and insure it will not sag after you are finished. Be sure the grain you can see on the plywood is running the same direction as the grain in the joist.
Use a good quality wood glue and sister a piece of plywood on each side of the joist. Use 2 rows of 2‚Äù long #8 or #10 screws in a staggered pattern 6‚Äù-8‚Äù on center.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers