Cracked Floor Joist Repair
I have a 2x10 floor joist that has a vertical crack from about the bottom to half way up (also 2 knots at crack). There also appears to be some longitudinal cracks that follow grain lines The joist is under bathrooms. About 5‚Äô from the crack they cut a chunk from the joist for the bathtub drain.. This joist may be 1/4 inch low. My plan was to cut some ¬æ" plywood I have on hand 4‚Äô long and as deep as the joist. I plan to use a post support (the kind with the screw in the top) and jack the joist up some and "sister" the plywood to the joist (w/the crack centered in the 4‚Äô width of the plywood. Is plywood a good method? Should I plywood both sides? Should I glue the plywood to the joist (will not be able to remove if glued)? Should I bolt or screw the plywood to the joist? Pattern and bolts sizes? Pattern and screw sizes?
¬æ‚Äù plywood should work OK. You may want to cut it a little longer (5‚Äô-6‚Äô) to be on the safe side and insure it will not sag after you are finished. Be sure the grain you can see on the plywood is running the same direction as the grain in the joist.
Use a good quality wood glue and sister a piece of plywood on each side of the joist. Use 2 rows of 2‚Äù long #8 or #10 screws in a staggered pattern 6‚Äù-8‚Äù on center.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!