Cracked Floor Joist Repair
I have a 2x10 floor joist that has a vertical crack from about the bottom to half way up (also 2 knots at crack). There also appears to be some longitudinal cracks that follow grain lines The joist is under bathrooms. About 5‚Äô from the crack they cut a chunk from the joist for the bathtub drain.. This joist may be 1/4 inch low. My plan was to cut some ¬æ" plywood I have on hand 4‚Äô long and as deep as the joist. I plan to use a post support (the kind with the screw in the top) and jack the joist up some and "sister" the plywood to the joist (w/the crack centered in the 4‚Äô width of the plywood. Is plywood a good method? Should I plywood both sides? Should I glue the plywood to the joist (will not be able to remove if glued)? Should I bolt or screw the plywood to the joist? Pattern and bolts sizes? Pattern and screw sizes?
¬æ‚Äù plywood should work OK. You may want to cut it a little longer (5‚Äô-6‚Äô) to be on the safe side and insure it will not sag after you are finished. Be sure the grain you can see on the plywood is running the same direction as the grain in the joist.
Use a good quality wood glue and sister a piece of plywood on each side of the joist. Use 2 rows of 2‚Äù long #8 or #10 screws in a staggered pattern 6‚Äù-8‚Äù on center.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight