My house was built in the early 80's. I bought it in 1995. When I purchased the house it did not have any problems. I live in the Caribbean(Puerto Rico). When the hurricane season came I noticed that I had a leaky ceiling. My dad came over and fixed the problem. But recently I started to notice that there are cracks in the ceiling...the stucco finish is falling off and in my room a big chunk fell off during the night and fell on me..I didn't fall asleep after that. What can I do to patch it up? I don't have leaks anymore but I'm worried that the ceiling might collapse on me or my daughter during the night.
If local to the room with the leak then it is probably a result of the leak and weakening of the plaster. No one can say if it will fall or not unless an inspection is made. Call a local home inspector to come out and take a look. It may cost you upwards of $75 but it is worth the money if you will be loosing sleep.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes