My house was built in the early 80's. I bought it in 1995. When I purchased the house it did not have any problems. I live in the Caribbean(Puerto Rico). When the hurricane season came I noticed that I had a leaky ceiling. My dad came over and fixed the problem. But recently I started to notice that there are cracks in the ceiling...the stucco finish is falling off and in my room a big chunk fell off during the night and fell on me..I didn't fall asleep after that. What can I do to patch it up? I don't have leaks anymore but I'm worried that the ceiling might collapse on me or my daughter during the night.
If local to the room with the leak then it is probably a result of the leak and weakening of the plaster. No one can say if it will fall or not unless an inspection is made. Call a local home inspector to come out and take a look. It may cost you upwards of $75 but it is worth the money if you will be loosing sleep.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!