My house was built in the early 80's. I bought it in 1995. When I purchased the house it did not have any problems. I live in the Caribbean(Puerto Rico). When the hurricane season came I noticed that I had a leaky ceiling. My dad came over and fixed the problem. But recently I started to notice that there are cracks in the ceiling...the stucco finish is falling off and in my room a big chunk fell off during the night and fell on me..I didn't fall asleep after that. What can I do to patch it up? I don't have leaks anymore but I'm worried that the ceiling might collapse on me or my daughter during the night.
If local to the room with the leak then it is probably a result of the leak and weakening of the plaster. No one can say if it will fall or not unless an inspection is made. Call a local home inspector to come out and take a look. It may cost you upwards of $75 but it is worth the money if you will be loosing sleep.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!