Let me try to answer.
The studs do more than just support loads from above. They also resist lateral loading of winds or seismic shifts from earthquakes etc.
The joints are made with nails not only from a historical standpoint, but also because the metal plates you refer to are applied with specialized equipment at truss plants exerting thousaands of pounds to press them onto the joint. And having all that metal on the face of the framing instead ofthe sides may interfere with nailing other materials such as baseboards to the wall. Speaking of which, another reason for all those studs is to fasten the drywall to.
By way of new thinking in wall construction, there are Europeans who are playing with a composite honeycomb type material. Structural insulated panels here are becoming a big thing. These are walls with a top and bottom plate and insulatin structural foam sandwhiched between layers of oriented strand board which provides stability and a nailing surface for finishes.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!