Let me try to answer.
The studs do more than just support loads from above. They also resist lateral loading of winds or seismic shifts from earthquakes etc.
The joints are made with nails not only from a historical standpoint, but also because the metal plates you refer to are applied with specialized equipment at truss plants exerting thousaands of pounds to press them onto the joint. And having all that metal on the face of the framing instead ofthe sides may interfere with nailing other materials such as baseboards to the wall. Speaking of which, another reason for all those studs is to fasten the drywall to.
By way of new thinking in wall construction, there are Europeans who are playing with a composite honeycomb type material. Structural insulated panels here are becoming a big thing. These are walls with a top and bottom plate and insulatin structural foam sandwhiched between layers of oriented strand board which provides stability and a nailing surface for finishes.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes