Hi I have a 7 year old house all 16" tgi joists 2' on center with 2 layers of 3/4 t/g plywood over them. It was supposedly build extra heavy for tile.
The great room is 24x24 with the tji's spanning the whole floor at about 23'In the past year it has become bouncy, noticed mostly when the two dogs run across it. But the lamp shades move and it's freaking me out.
It's a full unfinished basement underneath. There is no x or other bracing on the TGI's. I measured the center of the floor and it's about 1 1/2" lower than the edges.
Is there anyway to stengthen the floor or raise it back up? Can more joists be installed with the wiring already going through them? I may be able to support it about 1/3 of the way in with a wall when the basement is finished. Should some type of bracing be installed on the joists?
Please let me know so I can find a contractor to help.
Thanks for any help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY