Hi I have a 7 year old house all 16" tgi joists 2' on center with 2 layers of 3/4 t/g plywood over them. It was supposedly build extra heavy for tile.
The great room is 24x24 with the tji's spanning the whole floor at about 23'In the past year it has become bouncy, noticed mostly when the two dogs run across it. But the lamp shades move and it's freaking me out.
It's a full unfinished basement underneath. There is no x or other bracing on the TGI's. I measured the center of the floor and it's about 1 1/2" lower than the edges.
Is there anyway to stengthen the floor or raise it back up? Can more joists be installed with the wiring already going through them? I may be able to support it about 1/3 of the way in with a wall when the basement is finished. Should some type of bracing be installed on the joists?
Please let me know so I can find a contractor to help.
Thanks for any help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!