Hi I have a 7 year old house all 16" tgi joists 2' on center with 2 layers of 3/4 t/g plywood over them. It was supposedly build extra heavy for tile.
The great room is 24x24 with the tji's spanning the whole floor at about 23'In the past year it has become bouncy, noticed mostly when the two dogs run across it. But the lamp shades move and it's freaking me out.
It's a full unfinished basement underneath. There is no x or other bracing on the TGI's. I measured the center of the floor and it's about 1 1/2" lower than the edges.
Is there anyway to stengthen the floor or raise it back up? Can more joists be installed with the wiring already going through them? I may be able to support it about 1/3 of the way in with a wall when the basement is finished. Should some type of bracing be installed on the joists?
Please let me know so I can find a contractor to help.
Thanks for any help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size