So this is a fun one... I'm working on - okay, reconstructing - my house and it is just about down to the studs... we've discovered carpenter ants - lots of them - eating big holes in the side of the house (it's a wood frame house) all the way to the shingles... we set out Terro traps, about 3 weeks ago, but yesterday, I saw quite a few walking around during the day and they were no where near the bait... my question is this: what do I do and in what order do I do it? Do I replace the damaged wood, then call the exterminator, or call first, replace and then call again, just to be safe? Too, it looks like they are all over the backyard - in the wood fence posts and in a neighbor's tree, what do I do about this? Help please!!!! Thank you.
I'm certainly not a pro exterminator, but I can buy most of their chemicals and get good information at www.bugspray.com . They have an excellent article on carpenter ants and some things you can buy that might be better than what you can get at the grocery store. Give them a try, I think you will go back to deal with any other pests that crop up.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes