So this is a fun one... I'm working on - okay, reconstructing - my house and it is just about down to the studs... we've discovered carpenter ants - lots of them - eating big holes in the side of the house (it's a wood frame house) all the way to the shingles... we set out Terro traps, about 3 weeks ago, but yesterday, I saw quite a few walking around during the day and they were no where near the bait... my question is this: what do I do and in what order do I do it? Do I replace the damaged wood, then call the exterminator, or call first, replace and then call again, just to be safe? Too, it looks like they are all over the backyard - in the wood fence posts and in a neighbor's tree, what do I do about this? Help please!!!! Thank you.
I'm certainly not a pro exterminator, but I can buy most of their chemicals and get good information at www.bugspray.com . They have an excellent article on carpenter ants and some things you can buy that might be better than what you can get at the grocery store. Give them a try, I think you will go back to deal with any other pests that crop up.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide