Help! there are holes on the top soil of almost all of my houseplants in my first floor living areas. The openings are about the size of a quarter and looks as though something has burrowed down into them. Have tried digging through to find out what, soaked with water, etc. but they eventually appear again. Any idea what this could be? Do mice do this?
well I have lived here for 4 years and had the same plants for the same amount of time but never have I seen this until this year. We get field mice all the time and have to put traps out but had not seen any in my plants.
My first thought was kids doing it. That's been the case anytime I have found holes in my flower pots.
It seems that you have some pests in your home that do all that damage to your plants. When I had a similar problem with mice, I searched online and found a pest control company. They are specialized in bugs and pests eradication. They didn't use any substances that are dangerous to humans and I've never had mice in my house ever since.
I have that issue with my Marigolds and Petunias outside. It's a squirrel! He has been caught eating on the Cosmos plant as well. They are fresh out from winter hibernation and they tend to go after leafy plants in the spring, then move on to nuts and seeds in the summer.
I discovered this today. It's the end of Sept, so it shouldn't be the suggestion of a squirrel, not to mention, the hole is too small...and I have no trees around me. It isn't kids, as I have none. No cats, and the dog can't get on top of my desk. Settled the dirt and filled with water, Nothing. Any idea what it is??
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!