Help! there are holes on the top soil of almost all of my houseplants in my first floor living areas. The openings are about the size of a quarter and looks as though something has burrowed down into them. Have tried digging through to find out what, soaked with water, etc. but they eventually appear again. Any idea what this could be? Do mice do this?
well I have lived here for 4 years and had the same plants for the same amount of time but never have I seen this until this year. We get field mice all the time and have to put traps out but had not seen any in my plants.
My first thought was kids doing it. That's been the case anytime I have found holes in my flower pots.
It seems that you have some pests in your home that do all that damage to your plants. When I had a similar problem with mice, I searched online and found a pest control company. They are specialized in bugs and pests eradication. They didn't use any substances that are dangerous to humans and I've never had mice in my house ever since.
I have that issue with my Marigolds and Petunias outside. It's a squirrel! He has been caught eating on the Cosmos plant as well. They are fresh out from winter hibernation and they tend to go after leafy plants in the spring, then move on to nuts and seeds in the summer.
I discovered this today. It's the end of Sept, so it shouldn't be the suggestion of a squirrel, not to mention, the hole is too small...and I have no trees around me. It isn't kids, as I have none. No cats, and the dog can't get on top of my desk. Settled the dirt and filled with water, Nothing. Any idea what it is??
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight