There are several biological control options for greenhouse aphid pests. Some common biological control agents (BCAs) include green lacewings (Chrysoperla carnea, C. rufilabris, Chrysopa spp.), aphid midges (Aphidoletes aphidimyza), parasitic wasps (Aphidius colemani and Aphidius matricariae) and lady beetles (Hippodamia convergens). See Appendix 1: Beneficial Organisms for more BCAs and suppliers.
A 1998 study showed that green lacewing larvae did not disperse as well as the parasitic wasp Aphidius colemani.(3) To achieve equal aphid suppression, more of the slower-moving species need to be introduced and from more points (lacewings have to be released on each bench because they cannot move to adjacent benches, for instance). A study performed at Colorado State University compared the effectiveness of parasitic wasps, aphid midges, lady beetle larvae, and green lacewing larvae.(4) The researchers found that lacewings performed better in hot temperatures, while aphid midges and lady beetles were better in cooler temperatures. At all temperatures, Aphidoletes was the best of the four at controlling aphids.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!