There are several biological control options for greenhouse aphid pests. Some common biological control agents (BCAs) include green lacewings (Chrysoperla carnea, C. rufilabris, Chrysopa spp.), aphid midges (Aphidoletes aphidimyza), parasitic wasps (Aphidius colemani and Aphidius matricariae) and lady beetles (Hippodamia convergens). See Appendix 1: Beneficial Organisms for more BCAs and suppliers.
A 1998 study showed that green lacewing larvae did not disperse as well as the parasitic wasp Aphidius colemani.(3) To achieve equal aphid suppression, more of the slower-moving species need to be introduced and from more points (lacewings have to be released on each bench because they cannot move to adjacent benches, for instance). A study performed at Colorado State University compared the effectiveness of parasitic wasps, aphid midges, lady beetle larvae, and green lacewing larvae.(4) The researchers found that lacewings performed better in hot temperatures, while aphid midges and lady beetles were better in cooler temperatures. At all temperatures, Aphidoletes was the best of the four at controlling aphids.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes