We bought this Minnesota rambler at the end of last winter and to our surprise, found ants in a few places -basement, main level kitchen and mudroom. W put out some of those Terro ant bait things and they would appear somewher else. Evenually, we got rid of them, but I kept wondering how we had such a problem in the first place, especially in February.
Well, in July, we discovered a water problem in the basement bath. I ended up having to gut it out completely removing all tile and drywall. I figured that was the source of our ant problem, as it was central to the areas we had seen them in the winter.
Well, they're back. And now, I'm finding them around basement interior walls. The bathroom project has been on hold - gutted but not re-done - as we're doing major renovations on the main level and that is an extra bathroom. I have been monitoring the bathroom though and there has been no evidence of moisture or ants.
I've inspected the interior perimeter of the basement looking for signs of water resulting from snow melting or something - nothing! How could we have ants in February? My wife is a clean-freak. We have a cleaning business, etc. There is no food laying around ever and we did not have a problem in the summer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!