We bought this Minnesota rambler at the end of last winter and to our surprise, found ants in a few places -basement, main level kitchen and mudroom. W put out some of those Terro ant bait things and they would appear somewher else. Evenually, we got rid of them, but I kept wondering how we had such a problem in the first place, especially in February.
Well, in July, we discovered a water problem in the basement bath. I ended up having to gut it out completely removing all tile and drywall. I figured that was the source of our ant problem, as it was central to the areas we had seen them in the winter.
Well, they're back. And now, I'm finding them around basement interior walls. The bathroom project has been on hold - gutted but not re-done - as we're doing major renovations on the main level and that is an extra bathroom. I have been monitoring the bathroom though and there has been no evidence of moisture or ants.
I've inspected the interior perimeter of the basement looking for signs of water resulting from snow melting or something - nothing! How could we have ants in February? My wife is a clean-freak. We have a cleaning business, etc. There is no food laying around ever and we did not have a problem in the summer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes