We bought this Minnesota rambler at the end of last winter and to our surprise, found ants in a few places -basement, main level kitchen and mudroom. W put out some of those Terro ant bait things and they would appear somewher else. Evenually, we got rid of them, but I kept wondering how we had such a problem in the first place, especially in February.
Well, in July, we discovered a water problem in the basement bath. I ended up having to gut it out completely removing all tile and drywall. I figured that was the source of our ant problem, as it was central to the areas we had seen them in the winter.
Well, they're back. And now, I'm finding them around basement interior walls. The bathroom project has been on hold - gutted but not re-done - as we're doing major renovations on the main level and that is an extra bathroom. I have been monitoring the bathroom though and there has been no evidence of moisture or ants.
I've inspected the interior perimeter of the basement looking for signs of water resulting from snow melting or something - nothing! How could we have ants in February? My wife is a clean-freak. We have a cleaning business, etc. There is no food laying around ever and we did not have a problem in the summer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects