water under house
YOu have to realize that it's really, REALLY hard to answer your question from here. I can't see what's going on.
The Home Inspector is suppose to give you estimates for the costs to 'repair' or remedy the situation. ASHI-Approved Home Inspectors do this (for sure.) If yours doesn't, ASK them, or get an ASHI-Approved Inspector.
Water on TOP of the plastic isn't good. I don't know if water is 'running' onto it from another location, or if it's the result of condensation that's dripping on it. You need to look for rot. If you see rot, run from the house! If you don't, keep looking around.
The landscaping needs to be sloping AWAY from the foundation. Gutters need to be installed at all roof edges AND they need to be properly installed. Water should be running INTO the gutter; NOT over, or behind it. The downspouts should be free and clear of obstructions and NOT damaged. They should also extend at least 3' away from the foundation.
Do you know if the house is in a flood plain? Is water draining onto the lot from a neighbor's lot? Have you asked yourself why the water is 'collecting' on your lot during a heavy rain (irrespective of the neighbors)? Talk to your Inspector and the Municipality in which the home resides to find out more about mitigation-measures and if the lot is in a flood plain.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs