water under house
YOu have to realize that it's really, REALLY hard to answer your question from here. I can't see what's going on.
The Home Inspector is suppose to give you estimates for the costs to 'repair' or remedy the situation. ASHI-Approved Home Inspectors do this (for sure.) If yours doesn't, ASK them, or get an ASHI-Approved Inspector.
Water on TOP of the plastic isn't good. I don't know if water is 'running' onto it from another location, or if it's the result of condensation that's dripping on it. You need to look for rot. If you see rot, run from the house! If you don't, keep looking around.
The landscaping needs to be sloping AWAY from the foundation. Gutters need to be installed at all roof edges AND they need to be properly installed. Water should be running INTO the gutter; NOT over, or behind it. The downspouts should be free and clear of obstructions and NOT damaged. They should also extend at least 3' away from the foundation.
Do you know if the house is in a flood plain? Is water draining onto the lot from a neighbor's lot? Have you asked yourself why the water is 'collecting' on your lot during a heavy rain (irrespective of the neighbors)? Talk to your Inspector and the Municipality in which the home resides to find out more about mitigation-measures and if the lot is in a flood plain.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs