water under house
YOu have to realize that it's really, REALLY hard to answer your question from here. I can't see what's going on.
The Home Inspector is suppose to give you estimates for the costs to 'repair' or remedy the situation. ASHI-Approved Home Inspectors do this (for sure.) If yours doesn't, ASK them, or get an ASHI-Approved Inspector.
Water on TOP of the plastic isn't good. I don't know if water is 'running' onto it from another location, or if it's the result of condensation that's dripping on it. You need to look for rot. If you see rot, run from the house! If you don't, keep looking around.
The landscaping needs to be sloping AWAY from the foundation. Gutters need to be installed at all roof edges AND they need to be properly installed. Water should be running INTO the gutter; NOT over, or behind it. The downspouts should be free and clear of obstructions and NOT damaged. They should also extend at least 3' away from the foundation.
Do you know if the house is in a flood plain? Is water draining onto the lot from a neighbor's lot? Have you asked yourself why the water is 'collecting' on your lot during a heavy rain (irrespective of the neighbors)? Talk to your Inspector and the Municipality in which the home resides to find out more about mitigation-measures and if the lot is in a flood plain.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them