water under house
YOu have to realize that it's really, REALLY hard to answer your question from here. I can't see what's going on.
The Home Inspector is suppose to give you estimates for the costs to 'repair' or remedy the situation. ASHI-Approved Home Inspectors do this (for sure.) If yours doesn't, ASK them, or get an ASHI-Approved Inspector.
Water on TOP of the plastic isn't good. I don't know if water is 'running' onto it from another location, or if it's the result of condensation that's dripping on it. You need to look for rot. If you see rot, run from the house! If you don't, keep looking around.
The landscaping needs to be sloping AWAY from the foundation. Gutters need to be installed at all roof edges AND they need to be properly installed. Water should be running INTO the gutter; NOT over, or behind it. The downspouts should be free and clear of obstructions and NOT damaged. They should also extend at least 3' away from the foundation.
Do you know if the house is in a flood plain? Is water draining onto the lot from a neighbor's lot? Have you asked yourself why the water is 'collecting' on your lot during a heavy rain (irrespective of the neighbors)? Talk to your Inspector and the Municipality in which the home resides to find out more about mitigation-measures and if the lot is in a flood plain.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects