I am building a luxury home with a 4 car garage. I will have a maid's room & playroom above the garage and my contractor suggested adding radiant heat to the garage floor to both heat the garage and to keep the rooms above from getting too cold. Is this a good idea? In addition, if I do this, should I add a small floordrain inside the garage doors for water to drain into during the winter season from snow & ice that comes off the cars and melts?
Hi Speeedr,I have a similar situation at my house.Above my garage is my mother-in-law's room.Your builders idea seems a bit extreme.My builder ran duct into the garage ceiling which helps buffer the cold coming from the garage.Now don't get me wrong,if you can afford it go with his idea.As far as the drain in the garage that would be great but most states do not allow it because of enviromental concerns,such as oil or gas or other pollutants possibly flowing down the drain.
Being that it is a garage, having HVAC in the same area can have deadly results by allowing exhaust from the vehicles into the living areas. Using radiant will prevent that. If the contractor did the slab correctly the water will flow out towards the overhead doors and not pool in the garage, so no drain should be required. A big plus is just think how nice it would be to get into a warm cor and a very cold day.
I am glad to see someone else has the thought of radiant heat in a garge floor. I too am planning to build a garage this summer and I too would like radiant heating, I am a mechanic by trade and plan to work in the garage and don't want to lay on a cold floor or have a hot air furnace blowing on me all the time, I also plan to keep my show car in there during the cold New England winters, is this a wise thing to do, the garage will not be attached to the house. Anyone know of any websites on radiant heating info.?
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
Radiant Heat and Crown Molding
IN floor radiant heat
is hydronic radiant heat safe to install in joists w...
Electric radiant heat
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs