I am building a luxury home with a 4 car garage. I will have a maid's room & playroom above the garage and my contractor suggested adding radiant heat to the garage floor to both heat the garage and to keep the rooms above from getting too cold. Is this a good idea? In addition, if I do this, should I add a small floordrain inside the garage doors for water to drain into during the winter season from snow & ice that comes off the cars and melts?
Hi Speeedr,I have a similar situation at my house.Above my garage is my mother-in-law's room.Your builders idea seems a bit extreme.My builder ran duct into the garage ceiling which helps buffer the cold coming from the garage.Now don't get me wrong,if you can afford it go with his idea.As far as the drain in the garage that would be great but most states do not allow it because of enviromental concerns,such as oil or gas or other pollutants possibly flowing down the drain.
Being that it is a garage, having HVAC in the same area can have deadly results by allowing exhaust from the vehicles into the living areas. Using radiant will prevent that. If the contractor did the slab correctly the water will flow out towards the overhead doors and not pool in the garage, so no drain should be required. A big plus is just think how nice it would be to get into a warm cor and a very cold day.
I am glad to see someone else has the thought of radiant heat in a garge floor. I too am planning to build a garage this summer and I too would like radiant heating, I am a mechanic by trade and plan to work in the garage and don't want to lay on a cold floor or have a hot air furnace blowing on me all the time, I also plan to keep my show car in there during the cold New England winters, is this a wise thing to do, the garage will not be attached to the house. Anyone know of any websites on radiant heating info.?
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
Radiant Heat and Crown Molding
IN floor radiant heat
is hydronic radiant heat safe to install in joists w...
Electric radiant heat
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY