I am building a luxury home with a 4 car garage. I will have a maid's room & playroom above the garage and my contractor suggested adding radiant heat to the garage floor to both heat the garage and to keep the rooms above from getting too cold. Is this a good idea? In addition, if I do this, should I add a small floordrain inside the garage doors for water to drain into during the winter season from snow & ice that comes off the cars and melts?
Hi Speeedr,I have a similar situation at my house.Above my garage is my mother-in-law's room.Your builders idea seems a bit extreme.My builder ran duct into the garage ceiling which helps buffer the cold coming from the garage.Now don't get me wrong,if you can afford it go with his idea.As far as the drain in the garage that would be great but most states do not allow it because of enviromental concerns,such as oil or gas or other pollutants possibly flowing down the drain.
Being that it is a garage, having HVAC in the same area can have deadly results by allowing exhaust from the vehicles into the living areas. Using radiant will prevent that. If the contractor did the slab correctly the water will flow out towards the overhead doors and not pool in the garage, so no drain should be required. A big plus is just think how nice it would be to get into a warm cor and a very cold day.
I am glad to see someone else has the thought of radiant heat in a garge floor. I too am planning to build a garage this summer and I too would like radiant heating, I am a mechanic by trade and plan to work in the garage and don't want to lay on a cold floor or have a hot air furnace blowing on me all the time, I also plan to keep my show car in there during the cold New England winters, is this a wise thing to do, the garage will not be attached to the house. Anyone know of any websites on radiant heating info.?
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
thanx, Carguy, Beacon Falls Ct.
Radiant Heat and Crown Molding
IN floor radiant heat
is hydronic radiant heat safe to install in joists w...
Electric radiant heat
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda