old house help
(The house has a full basement.)
Without more information about the existing conditions I cannot tell you much more than that. If you wish to get into this in detail and plan the repairs contact me through the “Expert Advice” section and I will tell you exactly what you need to do to repair it.
[This message has been edited by GlennG (edited June 21, 2002).]
The challenge will be in the center of the house where the stairwell is. One of the joists was cut in half to allow for a heating duct to be installed (years ago). Thankfully, this joist is supported by a wall, but the whole thing has sunk about 1-2", and I'm now looking at jacking from the (full) cellar to level this back up before trying to rebuild the split joist.
Most of this was not apparent when we bought the house (we've gutted the plaster & lath since we bought it), but it's all 'fixable.' (time and money is what I keep telling my wife!)
questions about my old house
"Old House" issues
How best to help my furnace (100 year old house desi...
Siding instead of paint for 100-yr-old house???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes