The foundation wall of a 4 level split home has what our realtor called a frost line crack. It extends horizontally across about 5 ft. It is not large enough to fit my pinky finger into. There are also smaller cracks along the blocks diagonally toward the floor. It is the only wall with cracks (the front of the house). Does this sound serious? What exactly are frostline cracks and how do they occur?
Personally if I were looking at a home and the foundation had cracks larger than a hairline, or longer than a foot, I would walk away from it.
The house should be build to avoid frost heaving. There should not be "frostline cracks". You say it is not big enough for your pinky, but it must be close if you are using that as a desciption. This is an open crack is a very serious sign of shifting/settling. Walk away now or be prepared for some major foundation repairs.
5 bottom to top basement cracks - new construction w...
new construction basement floor cracks
cracks on new concrete slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes