The foundation wall of a 4 level split home has what our realtor called a frost line crack. It extends horizontally across about 5 ft. It is not large enough to fit my pinky finger into. There are also smaller cracks along the blocks diagonally toward the floor. It is the only wall with cracks (the front of the house). Does this sound serious? What exactly are frostline cracks and how do they occur?
Personally if I were looking at a home and the foundation had cracks larger than a hairline, or longer than a foot, I would walk away from it.
The house should be build to avoid frost heaving. There should not be "frostline cracks". You say it is not big enough for your pinky, but it must be close if you are using that as a desciption. This is an open crack is a very serious sign of shifting/settling. Walk away now or be prepared for some major foundation repairs.
5 bottom to top basement cracks - new construction w...
new construction basement floor cracks
cracks on new concrete slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!