I am in the process of finding a contractor to do a 1 story 10'X 20" addition plus remodel of area adjoining the addition.my question is how does a contractor decide what
type of foundation to build for this addition
what type is most cost effective? Will my local building code dictate what my options are?
If the existing house foundation meets the local building code he will likely match the existing. This will help to keep the floor levels the same elevation.
The building code does have some requirements to make certain the job is structurally sound but there should be quite a few choices as to the type.
All the codes I have dealt with require any new footings that are to be attached to an existing structure are to be identicle to the existing structure, or if the existing structure is not up to code, the foundation must be installed below the local frost line. I have seen footings that have been dug out and formed and I have also seen trenched foundations. This is where they basically make a trench and form 6" below grade and up to where the top of the foundation ends and pour into that. As long as it meets or exceeds the existing depth of the foundation it will be up to code. In any case expect to pay upwards of 2500 for the footings if you need to go below 42" in depth.
Mortar joint between diff. sized block
Cement base for walkway
Sump pump placement?
What's cost to drill 4ft concrete foundation for st...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes