I am in the process of finding a contractor to do a 1 story 10'X 20" addition plus remodel of area adjoining the addition.my question is how does a contractor decide what
type of foundation to build for this addition
what type is most cost effective? Will my local building code dictate what my options are?
If the existing house foundation meets the local building code he will likely match the existing. This will help to keep the floor levels the same elevation.
The building code does have some requirements to make certain the job is structurally sound but there should be quite a few choices as to the type.
All the codes I have dealt with require any new footings that are to be attached to an existing structure are to be identicle to the existing structure, or if the existing structure is not up to code, the foundation must be installed below the local frost line. I have seen footings that have been dug out and formed and I have also seen trenched foundations. This is where they basically make a trench and form 6" below grade and up to where the top of the foundation ends and pour into that. As long as it meets or exceeds the existing depth of the foundation it will be up to code. In any case expect to pay upwards of 2500 for the footings if you need to go below 42" in depth.
Mortar joint between diff. sized block
Cement base for walkway
Sump pump placement?
What's cost to drill 4ft concrete foundation for st...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs