We are building an addition to our house. It will be 36 feet wide by 30 feet in length. The excavator refuses to backfill unless concrete is poured in the core of the block with Rebar steel rods every 4 feet for reinforcement. The mason (block man) told us that the excavator is going overboard and that a polycaster in the center of each wall
is more than enough. In addition, the mason told us he intends to use extra concrete to strengthen the walls. Is the excavator going overboard or is this something that is necessary for a foundation of this size?
Second, how is the new foundation (13 bock high) tied into the old foundation which is is 6 foot? What should we ask the mason about how he plans totie the foundations together?
I would recommend following the advice of the excavation contractor. There will be great deal of pressure against a wall of that size and depth. #5 rebar @ 4' on center with concrete filled cells @ the rebar locations is a good practice that is required by many structural engineers. The type of mortar the mason uses will help but is not strong enough to hold back that amount of pressure on its own. Even if the wall does not crack or cave in when backfill is placed there is a very good chance it will in a few years if you don’t reinforce it. One pilaster in the middle of the wall is not enough.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight