Concret Block vs. Monolithic Pour
A re-inforced concrete wall is always stronger than a wall built of CMUs, even with the rebar and solid fill your contractor recommends. The question is whether that extra strength is needed. Are your soils unstable, clay, or wet? Do you have heavy freezing? Is your house extra large and heavy or designed with a lot of jigs, jogs, and angles?
In many parts of the country, laying a foundation wall from individual CMUs is the standard practice because it is compatable with the local soils and climate. In other places, Re-inforced concrete is the norm.
It could be that your archy has a background in another place, or it could be that your contractor is limited in his vision and experience.
Ask around locally. Ask the contractor whether he can show you work he has done similarly ten years ago. Ask the archy why he prefers the concrete.
Finally, compare the costs for each. Then decide if the price is worth it to you. After all, it's your dinero.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees