Concret Block vs. Monolithic Pour
A re-inforced concrete wall is always stronger than a wall built of CMUs, even with the rebar and solid fill your contractor recommends. The question is whether that extra strength is needed. Are your soils unstable, clay, or wet? Do you have heavy freezing? Is your house extra large and heavy or designed with a lot of jigs, jogs, and angles?
In many parts of the country, laying a foundation wall from individual CMUs is the standard practice because it is compatable with the local soils and climate. In other places, Re-inforced concrete is the norm.
It could be that your archy has a background in another place, or it could be that your contractor is limited in his vision and experience.
Ask around locally. Ask the contractor whether he can show you work he has done similarly ten years ago. Ask the archy why he prefers the concrete.
Finally, compare the costs for each. Then decide if the price is worth it to you. After all, it's your dinero.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps