The chipping could be due to moisture being 'forced' through the wall from the outside. Maybe the top-coat is old. I can't say for sure w/o seeing it myself. Anyways, if you don't have water problems in the basement, then I'll guess the problem is due to moisture coming from outside.
Do this test. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic and duct-tape it to the wall for 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, remove the plastic and see if you have 'light' condensation on the underside of the plastic. If you do, you should be ok to seal the wall. If there are droplettes or water 'runs' on the plastic, your new finishing job won't last. be sure you do this test where you have a decent amount of exposed foundation wall. (Peel some paint if you must.) Also, make sure you SEAL the entire perimeter of the plastic so none of the moisture excapes.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
Im fixing a hole...
Wood squares nailed into slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs