The chipping could be due to moisture being 'forced' through the wall from the outside. Maybe the top-coat is old. I can't say for sure w/o seeing it myself. Anyways, if you don't have water problems in the basement, then I'll guess the problem is due to moisture coming from outside.
Do this test. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic and duct-tape it to the wall for 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, remove the plastic and see if you have 'light' condensation on the underside of the plastic. If you do, you should be ok to seal the wall. If there are droplettes or water 'runs' on the plastic, your new finishing job won't last. be sure you do this test where you have a decent amount of exposed foundation wall. (Peel some paint if you must.) Also, make sure you SEAL the entire perimeter of the plastic so none of the moisture excapes.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
Im fixing a hole...
Wood squares nailed into slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps