The chipping could be due to moisture being 'forced' through the wall from the outside. Maybe the top-coat is old. I can't say for sure w/o seeing it myself. Anyways, if you don't have water problems in the basement, then I'll guess the problem is due to moisture coming from outside.
Do this test. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic and duct-tape it to the wall for 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, remove the plastic and see if you have 'light' condensation on the underside of the plastic. If you do, you should be ok to seal the wall. If there are droplettes or water 'runs' on the plastic, your new finishing job won't last. be sure you do this test where you have a decent amount of exposed foundation wall. (Peel some paint if you must.) Also, make sure you SEAL the entire perimeter of the plastic so none of the moisture excapes.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
Im fixing a hole...
Wood squares nailed into slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes