The chipping could be due to moisture being 'forced' through the wall from the outside. Maybe the top-coat is old. I can't say for sure w/o seeing it myself. Anyways, if you don't have water problems in the basement, then I'll guess the problem is due to moisture coming from outside.
Do this test. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic and duct-tape it to the wall for 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, remove the plastic and see if you have 'light' condensation on the underside of the plastic. If you do, you should be ok to seal the wall. If there are droplettes or water 'runs' on the plastic, your new finishing job won't last. be sure you do this test where you have a decent amount of exposed foundation wall. (Peel some paint if you must.) Also, make sure you SEAL the entire perimeter of the plastic so none of the moisture excapes.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
Exterior waterproofing with stone foundation and gra...
Im fixing a hole...
Wood squares nailed into slab
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!