Cracks where ceiling/wall meets
If the foundation has any cracks in it under the areas you noticed the ceiling/wall separations you might be concerned. If there are no cracks in the foundation the chances are they are only expansion/contraction cracks, normal settlement cracks, or formed when the wood framing shrunk as it dried out after construction. Small cracks are normal.
If the cracks are wide (1/4”) or excessively long you would have more reason to be concerned.
Caulking on the other hand may not be the best method to repair them depending on the wall construction. If it is drywall it should be taped and mudded with joint compound. Plaster should be repaired with a special crack repair plaster or spackling depending on the size of the crack. Each material has a proper way to repair it.
But it could also be simply from the wood drying and shrinking and a small bead of caulk could take care of it.
I would find an EXPERIENCED home inspector. A real estate agent is particularly unqualified to advise youon this, especially one who stands to benefit from the sale.
If I follow your advice, I guess we'll need to leave Jersey altogether and hunt for a fixer upper (always advertised as "with potential") in the Hamptons!
The humidity there can cause more than average wood movement from swelling.
The higher winds create excessive loads onm walls.
And sand is less than ideal for a load bearing soil, depending on the size of house and the kind of foundation. You relly need an experienced home inspector or engineer to render an opinion on site.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects