Cracks where ceiling/wall meets
If the foundation has any cracks in it under the areas you noticed the ceiling/wall separations you might be concerned. If there are no cracks in the foundation the chances are they are only expansion/contraction cracks, normal settlement cracks, or formed when the wood framing shrunk as it dried out after construction. Small cracks are normal.
If the cracks are wide (1/4”) or excessively long you would have more reason to be concerned.
Caulking on the other hand may not be the best method to repair them depending on the wall construction. If it is drywall it should be taped and mudded with joint compound. Plaster should be repaired with a special crack repair plaster or spackling depending on the size of the crack. Each material has a proper way to repair it.
But it could also be simply from the wood drying and shrinking and a small bead of caulk could take care of it.
I would find an EXPERIENCED home inspector. A real estate agent is particularly unqualified to advise youon this, especially one who stands to benefit from the sale.
If I follow your advice, I guess we'll need to leave Jersey altogether and hunt for a fixer upper (always advertised as "with potential") in the Hamptons!
The humidity there can cause more than average wood movement from swelling.
The higher winds create excessive loads onm walls.
And sand is less than ideal for a load bearing soil, depending on the size of house and the kind of foundation. You relly need an experienced home inspector or engineer to render an opinion on site.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!