We recently bought a house (10 yrs old) It is on a slab foundation (most are around here) and sits on a heavy clay soil. The soil is like something you'd want to make pottery with. We live near a large lake in Virginia Beach.
The house has concrete blocks around the base of the house. I noticed in the garage that their are damp spots around these blocks. Some of it looks stained with a white border (presumably some mineral leeching out) I don't see any cracks but maybe there could be below ground level.
How serious a problem is this and how would we fix it?
I assume we need to get as much soil away from the blocks as possible but how far down would we go. Would french drains help around the perimeter of the house?
We have an inground watering system supplied by well water. Could that be causing some of the problem? How would we check for leaks?
The soil is probably alkaline which is causing the concrete to effloresce the cement. This soil does need moisture though for this to happen. You might try waterproofing around the footings to prevent moisture from getting into the concrete. I doubt that the well would cause much of a problem since the soil is clay and its permeabilty is low anyway. Gutters around the house and directing the water away from the house could also help.
How do you reattach the pipe to the kitchen sink?
ceiling in bathroom
Design - How to prevent cracking
gaps and holes in the wood floor - how can i fix it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Experts Pick 12 Never-Fail Colors
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 8 Paint Colors to Help Sell Your House
- Furniture Arranging 101
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Brilliant Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- Bob Vila's 10 "Must Do" Projects for July
- 15 Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 10 “Zero Dollar” Storage Hacks to Try Today
- AVOID These 5 Popular Home Improvements
- 11 Top Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 14 Ways to Make Good Use of Your Old Stuff
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes