I am building a detached 30x40 ft single story garage/office structure. From the front of the planned structure to the rear, the grade slopes about 18 inches.
What is the best site prep and foundation for this structure and grade ? I've had two different contractors suggest different methods.
1. Build a retaining wall and back fill it to a level grade, then pour a monolithic slab foundation with proper footings, building the structure directly on the slab.
2. Build a concrete block foundation wall. Then backfill and pour a concrete floor to the wall, buidling the structure on the foundation wall.
Are either of these methods better than the other, or is there a third option ?
Ann Arbor, MI
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!