I am building a detached 30x40 ft single story garage/office structure. From the front of the planned structure to the rear, the grade slopes about 18 inches.
What is the best site prep and foundation for this structure and grade ? I've had two different contractors suggest different methods.
1. Build a retaining wall and back fill it to a level grade, then pour a monolithic slab foundation with proper footings, building the structure directly on the slab.
2. Build a concrete block foundation wall. Then backfill and pour a concrete floor to the wall, buidling the structure on the foundation wall.
Are either of these methods better than the other, or is there a third option ?
Ann Arbor, MI
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide