We're looking at purchasing a house that has a 8x12 addition that the owner put on. The room has a carrying stick and 8 wood posts that end in concrete blocks which sit on the dirt ground. We've had 2 professionals tell us this doesn't meet code and we need a bigger carrying stick and concrete poured 4 feet into the ground for the foundation for the wood posts to be properly stabilized. We live in Massachusetts, so freezing/thawing is very important.
Anyone have any idea what this process may cost? The room is next to the deck, so the workers will be in a 4 1/2 ft. tall space.
Thanks in advance!
Fix Bowing Walls or Lay New Block
Need some cost estimates for finishing a basement !
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!