We're looking at purchasing a house that has a 8x12 addition that the owner put on. The room has a carrying stick and 8 wood posts that end in concrete blocks which sit on the dirt ground. We've had 2 professionals tell us this doesn't meet code and we need a bigger carrying stick and concrete poured 4 feet into the ground for the foundation for the wood posts to be properly stabilized. We live in Massachusetts, so freezing/thawing is very important.
Anyone have any idea what this process may cost? The room is next to the deck, so the workers will be in a 4 1/2 ft. tall space.
Thanks in advance!
Fix Bowing Walls or Lay New Block
Need some cost estimates for finishing a basement !
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight