I am purchasing a new home and the inspector noted the problem listed below. Eveything else is in good shape but not sure if this should be a concern. The main beam is supported by concrete block columns every 6 feet but ends not supported by foundation walls. The ends are suporrted by wood beams (against foundation walls)and anchored to concrete footings (according to city inspector).
Home inspection report:
The configuration of wood columns found supporting the ends of the main load beam in the crawlspace is one that is rarely seen and not typical (photo). Main support beams are usually supported by the foundation walls. This may have been an oversight at time of construction. Regardless, the major concern is this: is the column supported by a proper concrete footing below as it should be. This was impossible to accurately determine without an invasive inspection method. A trip to the ******* Building & Zoning Office @ ******** Avenue was required. The permits to this home were pulled and proper city inspector sign-off on this construction method was assured by the city's "Deputy Plan Reviewer".
This could be an item of major concern. The best way to know for sure would be to view the builder's drawings. If the columns were supposed to be there and installed on a footer, it will be shown on the plans. I'm not sure where you live, but being a builder myself, I would not trust the inspector to know for sure if this was done properly. Most inspectors make about $35,000 / year and perform way too many inspections on a daily basis to thoroughly inspect everything. This could have been missed very easily by the inspector.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!