I am purchasing a new home and the inspector noted the problem listed below. Eveything else is in good shape but not sure if this should be a concern. The main beam is supported by concrete block columns every 6 feet but ends not supported by foundation walls. The ends are suporrted by wood beams (against foundation walls)and anchored to concrete footings (according to city inspector).
Home inspection report:
The configuration of wood columns found supporting the ends of the main load beam in the crawlspace is one that is rarely seen and not typical (photo). Main support beams are usually supported by the foundation walls. This may have been an oversight at time of construction. Regardless, the major concern is this: is the column supported by a proper concrete footing below as it should be. This was impossible to accurately determine without an invasive inspection method. A trip to the ******* Building & Zoning Office @ ******** Avenue was required. The permits to this home were pulled and proper city inspector sign-off on this construction method was assured by the city's "Deputy Plan Reviewer".
This could be an item of major concern. The best way to know for sure would be to view the builder's drawings. If the columns were supposed to be there and installed on a footer, it will be shown on the plans. I'm not sure where you live, but being a builder myself, I would not trust the inspector to know for sure if this was done properly. Most inspectors make about $35,000 / year and perform way too many inspections on a daily basis to thoroughly inspect everything. This could have been missed very easily by the inspector.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING