My husband and I are looking into purchasing an older home that currently has a basement depth of approximately 6 ft. We would like the basement to be a finished space in the house. My husband is 6'4". How costly would it be to increase the depth of the basement, say 6" to 1'? The basement currently has a concrete floor. Are there any precautions to take? Is there any additional bracing that would need to be done?
Do not buy the house if you want a taller basement. The cost to dig out a basement is astronomical. It doesn't matter if you're digging out only 6 inches (which isn't worth it -- most codes require 7 foot ceilings if you're finishing the space). They knock a hole in the side of the house or otherwise get a Bobcat inside, dig it out, haul away dirt, then for an extra fee, repair the wall opening. NOT WORTH IT! We got estimates in previous house -- moving was a better option. You have to worry about the contractor ruining the structural integrity of the house, etc. etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!