I recently refinished my basement in Central New Jersey. Covered cinderblock walls with studs and drywall, installed a DRICore subfloor, and carpeted.
Two weeks later we had a major rain storm (4.5 inches of rain) and my basement was flooded. About three weeks before the flood we had a snow storm (20 inches) which finally melted about a week before the rain storm, so the ground was saturated.
We do not have a french drain or sump pump. The only history of flooding in my home was once during Hurricane Floyd and this storm. I had 3 basement waterproofing company's quote me upwards of 6K to cut my walls, dig a perimeter trench in the floor and install a ditch and sump.
Is all of this necessary, or will a ditch and sump alone be enough considering the infrequency of flooding in my home?
One last note, a week after the flood we had another major storm (4.25 inches or rain) and no flooding occurred. Also, no water appeared to seep through some of the walls that are still exposed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!