I recently refinished my basement in Central New Jersey. Covered cinderblock walls with studs and drywall, installed a DRICore subfloor, and carpeted.
Two weeks later we had a major rain storm (4.5 inches of rain) and my basement was flooded. About three weeks before the flood we had a snow storm (20 inches) which finally melted about a week before the rain storm, so the ground was saturated.
We do not have a french drain or sump pump. The only history of flooding in my home was once during Hurricane Floyd and this storm. I had 3 basement waterproofing company's quote me upwards of 6K to cut my walls, dig a perimeter trench in the floor and install a ditch and sump.
Is all of this necessary, or will a ditch and sump alone be enough considering the infrequency of flooding in my home?
One last note, a week after the flood we had another major storm (4.25 inches or rain) and no flooding occurred. Also, no water appeared to seep through some of the walls that are still exposed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs