I recently refinished my basement in Central New Jersey. Covered cinderblock walls with studs and drywall, installed a DRICore subfloor, and carpeted.
Two weeks later we had a major rain storm (4.5 inches of rain) and my basement was flooded. About three weeks before the flood we had a snow storm (20 inches) which finally melted about a week before the rain storm, so the ground was saturated.
We do not have a french drain or sump pump. The only history of flooding in my home was once during Hurricane Floyd and this storm. I had 3 basement waterproofing company's quote me upwards of 6K to cut my walls, dig a perimeter trench in the floor and install a ditch and sump.
Is all of this necessary, or will a ditch and sump alone be enough considering the infrequency of flooding in my home?
One last note, a week after the flood we had another major storm (4.25 inches or rain) and no flooding occurred. Also, no water appeared to seep through some of the walls that are still exposed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs