I recently refinished my basement in Central New Jersey. Covered cinderblock walls with studs and drywall, installed a DRICore subfloor, and carpeted.
Two weeks later we had a major rain storm (4.5 inches of rain) and my basement was flooded. About three weeks before the flood we had a snow storm (20 inches) which finally melted about a week before the rain storm, so the ground was saturated.
We do not have a french drain or sump pump. The only history of flooding in my home was once during Hurricane Floyd and this storm. I had 3 basement waterproofing company's quote me upwards of 6K to cut my walls, dig a perimeter trench in the floor and install a ditch and sump.
Is all of this necessary, or will a ditch and sump alone be enough considering the infrequency of flooding in my home?
One last note, a week after the flood we had another major storm (4.25 inches or rain) and no flooding occurred. Also, no water appeared to seep through some of the walls that are still exposed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes